I downloaded the free Tessuti knit top, this was my first downloaded pattern. And, a perfect choice too. The knit blouse/tunic pattern was easy to sew and I now know why all the raves for this top. I love it and can image myself making this in several versions. The only thing I added was about 3 inches to the sleeves. It sewed up very fast. I had enough fabric left over to make a knit skirt as well. The fabric came from JoAnn’s. I want to get the Tessuti dress pattern as well. The download/sewing pattern had 15 pages and came with no directions, so if you are new to sewing or downloads you might need a bit of help but it seems pretty self-explanatory. I may just be a convert to download/patterns yet. Here are some photos of my rendition. Continue reading
Here is a maxi skirt I’ve been working on almost all summer. I fell in love with the fabric I purchased a year ago at Denver Fabrics. The color is a red/tangerine and I love the wave print, seems perfect for summer. The skirt pattern is for a knit, McCalls 6654. Tish Gance of HISS Studio told me how to covert the pattern for a woven. I had a lot of problems with the invisible zipper so much so that I ended up putting in just a regular zipper. And Janet White of JM Designs told me about transparent zippers that are perfect for sheers, chiffon and other light weight fabrics. I love having friends that know their sewing stuff. The only problem is I have NO SHOES to wear with this gem. Got to do some later summer shoe shopping!
To convert the knit pattern Continue reading
One of my favorite blogs is The Perfect Nose. The Nose is responsible for my new addiction to tunics She makes them in wonderful fabrics and always looks so chic and effortless while drinking Midori’s that well, I had to try it. Plus, they are a breeze to make. This one has a few issues. It is a bit expansive across the chest and falls off my shoulders in an annoying way. Continue reading
Since I make a lot of skirts I’ve decided to up the ante and start adding in couture techniques or different elements to keep my skills moving forward. On this pencil skirt from Burda 8155 I used a couture waistband technique from Susan Khalje which is featured in the latest issue of Threads magazine (March 2013). The short of it is to place petersham or grosgrain and sandwich in between the fabric and lining of the waistband. It offers much more stability in the waist area.
For the pertersham cut out the same length as your waistband pattern piece, which is usually your waist measurement plus 4 inches. Install the lining if there is one. Next place the petersham on the right side of fabric, above the skirt’s waistband stitching line. Here is where I added a step. Continue reading
I found a dress at the thrift shop (seen below) that I liked but felt I could improve upon it. The dress is a knit so copying it was a lot easier than a woven. I did have troubles with the armscye and sleeves. The first sample they were all wrong. I then just used a sleeve and armscye from a existing pattern. I was surprised that it worked. These are the best looking sleeves EVER! (Sleeves are always a problem for me)
Here’s a run down of the process.
At the Denver Sewing Collective’s last meetup we made Eternity Scarves. This project was very easy and would make for great gifts. I had problems with the written directions as usual but once Kim made a successful one it was all downhill from there.
Here are some photos that might help those who are more visual learners. I have been craving an easy project and this is it. There are infinite possibilities here! Have you made any? I may just make everyone on my list one.
On the directions from Simplicity’s Eternity scarves here is a photo starting at step 6.
I’m sure you are all aware of the 10,000 hours rule. It takes 10,000 hours to become an expert. It seems like I have put in about 10,000 hours on perfecting (nearly) pants. I have made 6 sample pairs, gone through a bolt or two of muslin but finally here they are. Here is the low down on Butterick 4998 (out of print, yes I’ve been working on them that long).
- Material is a black denim no Lycra.
- I had to do a number of adjustments and most in the crotch length and depth areas.
- I added pockets in the back which you can’t really see.
- I took the side seems in one inch so I could adjust them later if necessary.
- I did a Claire Schaffer yolk waist band which is the final addition that really put me over the moon with happiness (only a fellow seamstress would understand). And Viola!
- Continue reading